A vote will be held February 1, 2020 to February 29, 2020 to ratify the Anishinabek Nation Governance Agreement between Nipissing First Nation and Canada. The Ballot Question is:
As an Eligible Voter of Nipissing First Nation, do you:
approve the proposed Anishinabek Nation Governance Agreement?
Click here to view/download the Notice of Vote that was mailed to all registered Nipissing First Nation member households in mid-December 2019, along with mail-in ballots. Click here to view/download the Ratification Vote Booklet.
Learn more at our Open House Information Sessions!
- Monday, January 27, 2020 from 6pm – 8pm
NFN Community Complex Gym
36 Semo Road, Garden Village
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/501162137200765/
Livestream link: https://livestream.com/firsttel/events/8968188
- Wednesday, January 29, 2020 from 6pm – 8pm
Nbisiing Secondary School Gym
469 Couchie Memorial Drive, Duchesnay
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/557989248087843/
Livestream link: https://livestream.com/firsttel/events/8969267
Dinner & Refreshments will be served. Enter to win draw prizes!
For more information or to RSVP your attendance, please contact Gen Couchie at 705-753-2050 ext. 1270 or email@example.com.
Online Voting will be available from February 1 to February 29 through this link: https://onefeather.ca/nations/nipissing
Information about How to Vote is available here: https://www.governancevote.ca/how-to-vote/
What are the benefits of ratifying the Anishinabek Nation Governance Agreement?
- Member First Nations will elect Chief and Councillors based on the individual First Nation constitution and not by the Indian Act regulations;
- Member First Nations will receive more funding for governance initiatives such as the use of Anishinaabemowin and traditional ways of governing including the Clan System;
- First Nations will pass laws without other government interference in the areas of:
- Language and culture: to preserve, promote and develop the use of our Anishinabek culture, history and language;
- Elections: to decide how Chief and Council will be elected and the qualifications necessary to fulfill the roles;
- Citizenship: to decide who will be a citizen and what responsibilities come with that citizenship;
- Management and operations: First Nation governments will have a greater role in areas such as financial administration and will receive additional funds to undertake the additional responsibilities.
The Anishinabek Nation Governance Agreement (“Governance Agreement”) will establish and recognize two levels of government: individual First Nation Government and the Anishinabek Nation Government, which will consist of member First Nations that ratify the Governance Agreement.
For more information, please visit www.governancevote.ca, call the toll-free number for inquires related to the ratification process at 1-833-297-9850, or contact Laura Commanda, Ratification Officer for Nipissing First Nation:
Office: 705-753-2050 ext. 1221
A compilation of helpful documents and presentations is also available under the News & Notices section of our website.